Before you quickly scroll to the end of the article to see if the answer is a Yes or No, let us tell you the answer: Neither of them. You surely have heard your mom or aunts or your friends’ moms who tell you that sleeping with a bra on at night will harm your breasts, or they will cause breast cancers or other never-heard-before consequences.
But the truth is, there really isn’t any studies nor medical evidence that were able to prove that it is a bad idea to sleep with a bra on. If it’s still not convincing enough to you, here are what some of the credible experts had to say about the mystery:
Dr. Lucky Sekhon, a fertility specialist and board-certified obstetrician-gynecologist said that sleeping with a bra on can actually reduce discomfort related to swelling of breasts such as engorgement during breastfeeding, hormonal changes or newborn moms are trying to wean off breastfeeding.
She said that genetics and the patterns of breastfeeding has way more effect on the breast shape and appearance, rather than whether or not women wear a bra to sleep. In fact, women with larger breasts may benefit from putting on a bra while going to bed. When their breasts are supported, it helps them get better rest for the night.
To help you to make up your mind whether to go to sleep with or without one, here are the possible positive and negative side effects of wearing bras to sleep. The reason we say side effects is because it’s completely a person-by-person basis.
- Relieves back pain. Wearing a bra to sleep can help with upper back pain because they support your breasts from pressuring your body, which in turn helps you get more of a peaceful rest for the day.
- Better sleep. Some women find it more comfortable and safe when they go to bed with a bra on, and so this gives them a better sleep at night.
- Helping pregnant moms with sensitive breasts. When women are on the journey of becoming a new born mom, they experience sensitive breasts where they may feel painful or swollen breasts due to hormonal changes. A soft and comfortable bra at night helps support them and make it easier for them to fall asleep.
- Skin irritation. If the bra you’re wearing to sleep is not suitable for you, it may chafe your skin and this will lead to skin abrasions that irritate you. For instance, wearing an underwired bra is not a good idea as you will toss and turn for the night and it will possibly rub against skin more often.
- Breast fungus. If you are the type of person that sweats easily, wearing a bra that has extra padding and they are too stuffy for your breasts may cause you to have breast sweats. This gives a breeding ground for breast fungus. You can choose a more breathable material bra if you still prefer wearing one to sleep.
- Blood circulation. Wearing the wrong bra will magnify this risk. If your bra is too tight, blood supply will be restricted around your chest areas, which will cause numbness or pain in some areas, and this is not beneficial if it prolongs.
Do note that the negative side effects are just mostly possible health concerns, and can be avoided if you make some minor changes.
Ultimately, it is completely a personal decision, as long as you have a good night’s sleep. There is no study that is associated with the risks of wearing a bra to sleep, nor is there any proven study that sleeping without a bra would harm or benefit you.
Now that the myths are all debunked, do you sleep with or without a bra? We believe whatever your answer is, you’re definitely not alone! If you would like to know more about bra facts, do give us a follow on Instagram or subscribe to our Youtube channel! Your support is appreciated!