In the past decade, we’ve seen innerwear brands become more inclusive of plus-sized and other types of models that didn’t meet the “beauty standards”. Despite all these positive changes, we are sad to say that there’s still a long way to go for body positivity. Women with bigger breasts are still often sexualized or even get laughed at, which can feel very demeaning.
What Is Breast Minimizing?
Breast minimizing, or also known as breast reduction has become a known solution for women who are born with fuller breasts. Not being able to fit in the “usual” breast sizes and the neglect from the bra industry in catering their needs had pressured them to resort to breast minimizing surgery. Unless it’s for medical reasons or recommended by doctors, breast reduction surgery should never be one of your options.
Why You Don’t Need Breast Minimizing Surgery As Much As You Think You Want It
Breast reduction is only recommended by doctors when chronic health conditions are involved. Here are usually the main two reasons why breast reduction is needed:
- To provide relief for patients who have chronic skin infections under breasts known as intertrigo
- To relieve back, shoulder and neck pain that are directly affected by the heaviness of breasts
Side Effects Of Breast Reduction Surgery
So, unless your breasts greatly inhibit you from carrying out your daily activities, there is no valid reason that you should get a breast reduction surgery. Before you consider going under one, you should be aware of some of the side effects:
- Asymmetric breasts. Most of the breasts are siblings, not twins. However, the difference may be more prominent after the surgery.
- Loss of sensation of the nipples. This side effect is temporary, although there is “an estimation of 15 to 20% of loss of sensation permanently” says Charles J. Galanis, a Beverly Hills-based board-certified plastic surgeon.
- Blood clots. This can be life threatening as the clots can move to the lungs (pulmonary embolus) or to the brain, which will potentially lead to death.
In addition to this, you could even face complications that require further surgery. If your breast does not heal properly post surgery, then the doctor may perform a skin graft. If you didn’t already know, breast minimizing surgery is not budget-friendly either. The actual cost will vary depending upon a number of factors (health insurance, post op care, country etc.) but it will cost a rough estimate of $10,000 (RM41,620).
So, do consult a doctor to get professional advice before you assume that you really need a breast reduction surgery. Every woman is born in their own shape and size, if you are contemplating whether you should get a breast minimizing surgery because you think that your breasts makes you look unattractive, let me tell you as a friend, please don’t.
We know the self love journey for women is tough, but we are learning everyday. If you have any worries and problems, feel free to hit us up on our DMs on Instagram or Facebook Page and let us assist you!